Posted Jan 16 (10 months ago)
Software Engineer, Customer Success
at WordPress VIP
Full-time 📍 Americas Only
WordPress VIP provides consulting, support, hosting, training, and other services to some of the biggest and best WordPress sites on the web. Our clients include Facebook, Microsoft, News Corp, FiveThirtyEight, The New York Times, and hundreds more.
We're part of Automattic, a distributed company with more than 1300 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We're the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, and more. Our common goal is to democratize publishing and commerce so that anyone, anywhere can tell their story or sell their product.
As some of the biggest brands on the web, our clients are often defining and evolving models for using WordPress at scale. The Software Engineers on our Customer Success team help our clients to get the most out of WordPress, doing everything from providing guidance on a successful launch, to monitoring security and performance, to developing new tools to help improve our platform.
- Assessing client code and integrations with a focus on security and scalability.
- Understanding an organization’s needs at a deep level, and being able to recommend best practices and workflows as well as tools and plugins.
- Debugging complex problems and anticipating potential future needs and challenges.
- Assisting large organizations with the ongoing support of new features and functionality.
- Helping to shape our product vision and direction by functioning as the internal technical voice of our clients.
All days can be pretty different, but a typical day will mostly involve working with the developer teams at our customer organizations or the agencies representing them. This work may include: giving feedback on questions from a client; looking into a bug, reproducing it, creating a patch, and testing it; doing code review for clients or for other team members and giving feedback on the code; or writing small tools or working on a plugin.
We’d love to chat with you if you have:
- Professional experience in web development.
- Experience in testing and debugging code.
- Experience in communicating with other technical teams, particularly with enterprise level platforms.
- Experience with software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations.
- Eagerness to learn!
- Bonus points for experience with WordPress or familiarity with PHP.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations up front about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!
About the Team
We are first and foremost engineers, though our backgrounds and experiences in life and career vary. We typically have a deep background in either WordPress development itself (some of us are long time developers/contributors, experienced themers and plugin developers) and/or the web (others of us are devs with backgrounds in media or general technology.) All of us have a deep interest in code, learning and a commitment to open source, WordPress and the future of the open web.
We are also passionate advocates for our customers. We are unafraid of ambiguous or challenging situations involving code, humans or both. We understand the wider and human contexts of technical decisions. We are able to communicate effectively across cultures and organizations, sometimes in difficult situations. We are most engaged when solving truly interesting problems collaboratively. We care about our customers, and share a commitment to helping them achieve their goals!
Meerkad is a job board powered by community where remote job seekers and companies connect.
Community of 4k+ remote job seekers