Data Science Director
Data Science Director
- Work at Home (WNAH)
Be part of the team that’s poised to transform the fight against cancer. Backed by the strength of a Fortune 8 company, our entrepreneurial organization develops technologies used by the oncology community to deliver evidence-based, personalized care, as well as insights used by biopharma companies to accelerate drug development and support the entire treatment journey. Our work powers informed decision-making at every pivotal moment in oncology – from the treatment options presented to patients, to the operational considerations for oncology practices, to the design of clinical trials, to the commercial launch plans for new therapies. We are looking for a self-motivated, capable, enthusiastic and dependable person to join our growing team in this collaborative and results-oriented position that is focused on helping to execute our marketing strategies to support the growth of McKesson Data, Evidence and Insights (DEI).
The McKesson Data, Evidence and Insights (DEI) team draws upon deep expertise in data science, data analytics, and real-world clinical data to deliver innovative research and insights to Biopharma customers across all phases of product development and commercialization. Our work helps clients define markets, demonstrate value and effectiveness, and inform business decisions throughout product lifecycles.
The DEI team is seeking a Data Science Director to drive and implement strategic initiatives targeting business scalability, process improvement and efficiency as well as growth and product development. This role will be responsible for leading a team of data scientists strategic initiatives including, but not limited to: operational migration to AWS cloud environment, clinical data ingestion and integration to/from internal/external strategic partners, data standardization and quality control, AI and machine learning activities, data visualization, data enrichment via natural language processing, data model development, programming efficiencies, and more. This person will be responsible for working across the organization with other data scientists, data engineers, data analysts and IT staff members to develop solutions to meet the needs of our team. A successful candidate will have a background in analytics as well as strategic and tactical initiatives and will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously across many internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead, build, and develop a new team of data scientists to support strategic business initiatives targeting opportunities for revenue growth and operational improvements
- Plan, evaluate, coordinate and execute strategic projects and initiatives related to advancing DEI’s overall data and analytics capabilities
- Identify areas for operational efficiency or process improvement for our oncology data products and services
- Support a cross-functional team and provide in-depth data insights for complex business problems that can be approached with advanced analytics
- Represent and collaborate with clinical data analysts, data scientists, biostatisticians and outcomes researchers to understand business data science needs and drive forward initiatives to deliver results to the team
- Rapidly perform exploratory data analysis and uncover interesting trends and relationships that would be relevant to drive insights back to our Life Science clients
- Analyze and model structured data and implement algorithms to support analyses for Life Science clients using advanced statistical methods
- Perform advanced analytics techniques to mine unstructured data, using methods such as document clustering, topic analysis, named entity recognition, and document classification (natural language processing is a plus)
- Strong understanding of large database mining tools and statistical languages utilized to efficiently build approaches and execute on analytical use cases. Specific experience with SAS, Python, R, Spark, Hadoop (MapReduce, HBASE), Hive, Pig, Java, Trifacta, H2O, Tableau and SQL is preferred.
- Communicate results and educate others through reports and presentations
Typical Minimum Experience
- Typically requires 12+ years of relevant experience in data science
- 4+ years of people management experience
- 10+ years of experience working with complex data sources. Direct experience working with clinical research, electronic health records and health care claims data, experience in oncology data highly preferred
- 10+ years of experience working with SAS, R/Python, and SQL
- 3-5 years of experience leading a team of data scientists
- Proven record of project execution and goal achievement
- Strong quantitative analysis background and experience in working with large, complex data systems to aggregate, organize, and prepare data for analysis
- Strong background in data visualizations and data presentation techniques
- Experience working within biopharma or biotechnology industry preferred
- Must demonstrate time management skills and the ability to contribute to multiple projects with competing timelines.
Additional Knowledge & Skills
- Must be flexible, team oriented and able to accept and drive change
- Able to use sound judgment, prioritize and then execute decisions
- Fast and capable learner
- Results oriented, enthusiastic, creative thinker
- Experience designing and executing prospective or retrospective database studies
- Advanced degree with a minimum of 10 years of related experience or PhD, with degree in Computer/Data Science, Health Services Research, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Economics or a related field
McKesson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.
McKesson is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including job seekers with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to McKessonTalentAcquisition@mckesson.com . Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Current employees must apply through the internal career site.
Join us at McKesson!
We deliver careers with purpose and potential. Our focus on better health starts with creating an inclusive environment with strong values where you can build a fulfilling career. You can count on us to provide you with resources and opportunities to grow and be your best, while contributing to our pursuit of improving lives. Every day, McKesson’s employees deliver products to healthcare providers that make a difference in the care and life of a patient. We work to distribute medical supplies, bandages, syringes, vials of flu vaccine, and pharmaceutical drugs to help real patients like Jack, an eight-year-old boy battling cancer. We take that job seriously. Together, the work we do is shaping the future of healthcare. If you are passionate about combining a meaningful career with a balanced life, join us on this journey and apply for a job with McKesson today. Every day, McKesson’s employees deliver products to healthcare providers that make a difference in the care and life of a patient.