Engineer Team Manager
Engineer Team Manager (Remote)
- Durham, NC or Remote, US
- Full Time
Research Square Company exists to make research communication faster, fairer, and more useful. We are a growing team of scientists, researchers, language experts, software developers, and publishing industry veterans working together to find new ways to help researchers succeed.
Headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, Research Square Company consists of two main divisions, American Journal Experts (AJE) and Research Square. Since 2004, AJE has provided manuscript preparation services to hundreds of thousands of researchers helping them to get their work published. Launched in 2018, our platform, Research Square, is the largest multidisciplinary preprint server in the world. By helping researchers communicate their work more effectively, we accelerate the pace of global discovery and advancement.
Our team embraces and fuels change, fights for simplicity, invests in customers’ success, and applies a data-driven approach to continuously improve and magnify our impact. We have developed tools and services that have been adopted by major international publishers to improve the publishing experience for their authors.
We are a high-growth, family-friendly, and mission-driven company that regularly wins awards for our workplace culture, pace of growth, and innovations. Our workplace is casual and flexible while also being stimulating and dynamic. We have a results-focused work environment. Employees have the option of working remotely anywhere in the US or, for those local to the Raleigh-Durham area, taking advantage of our open office in downtown Durham.
Research Square Engineer Team Manager
The Research Square Engineer Team Manager (TM) role is responsible for leading, managing, and holding the platform engineering team accountable. They will work closely with the Product Owner and Product Manager to plan projects, and to ensure projects and tasks are well defined. They will be responsible for hiring, onboarding and mentoring new engineers.
About the team
Our growing engineering team for the Research Square preprint platform currently has 6 engineers. We expect to add an additional 2 engineers to the team in 2021. This engineering team will report to the Engineer Team Manager.
Education and Experience Requirements
The RS Engineer Team Manager role is a generalist by nature, working on specialized projects that help advance the Research Square platform, operations, new product development, or management priorities within a defined system of project and resource prioritization.
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing an engineering team
- 6+ years programming experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of the programming languages used by the team
- A collaborative, team-first approach, and openness to both giving and receiving feedback
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to engage with the R&D team to drive for collaborative results
What the Engineer TM does
- Lead, manage, and hold the engineering team accountable
- Hiring, onboarding, and mentoring of new engineers
- Deliver high-quality code in a timely manner
- Work with product management, marketing, and other groups to drive engineering alignment with our strategic product goals
- Work with product owners to scope projects and ensure tasks are well defined and scoped appropriately
- Own software budget including payments, tracking, and coding
- Communicate proactively with team members and stakeholders
What the Engineer TM delivers
- Translates business objectives into technical requirements
- Ensures that stable, quality code is released in a timely fashion
- Provides technical insight into projects, tasks, and team capacity
- Provides workflow support