Posted Sep 22 (1 year ago)
Junior or Mid-Level Full-Stack Software Engineer (Rails, React)
Full-time 📍 USA Only
We're looking for an engineer to join our team to support the CommonLit application and to develop new capabilities to support teachers, students, and parents. COVID-19 has made the need for our services bigger than ever, and this is an amazing opportunity to make a huge difference for students and their teachers.
Engineers at CommonLit are truly "full-stack" in that we work hard to avoid having parts of the application solely belong to any one engineer. We try to give everyone experience in lots of areas to provide opportunities to learn and to deepen personal skill sets (and to make it easier for any of us to truly disconnect on days off).
We have an intense but supportive culture of code review. We pair frequently and as needed (it'll be most of your first 2-3 months as our team member as we onboard you and help you get oriented!). We’re a women-led organization, with a woman CEO/founder and the majority of our executive team being women. Half of our engineering team are women. Our team has a deep emphasis on skill development, which we accomplish through weekly Lunch & Learns and an environment that rewards asking questions and teaching others.
Working at CommonLit you'll:
Working at CommonLit you'll:
- work with awesome teammates
- deliver meaningful code that you'll be proud of
- help others ship the best results through code reviews
- ship code frequently with small iterations and rapid deployment
- write durable, intention-demonstrating tests
- add your own greatness and uniqueness to our team culture
- get better at the craft of software development
- teach things you've learned to others
- work on a wide variety of projects
- improve educational and economic outcomes for millions of students with our efforts targeting those students most in need
Engineers at CommonLit work on all parts of our application. Things you would work on in a typical week might include:
- Developing new features in Ruby and Typescript
- Fixing bugs found through reports from monitoring or users
- Working with our Product team to scope new projects
- Reviewing code from your teammates
- Optimizing the performance and web bundle size of the application
- Researching new technologies or practices for our team to improve the platform
- Taking your week-long turn doing our on-call rotation during extended business hours (on-call pages at CommonLit are extremely infrequent)
This is position is open to entry-level engineers (just starting your career) up to people with 2-3 years of experience. This is an amazing place to grow, we have a strong track record helping engineers build their skills and advance their careers.
As a team member you'll bring:
- Strong written communication skills
- A collaborative, team-oriented mindset. This isn't a group of lone wolves, we succeed and fail as a group
- A commitment to improving equity of opportunity for students of color
In your work you'd ideally be comfortable with most of:
- Ruby and Rails: CommonLit is backed by a modern, sprawling Rails app!
- React: we use React to build rich user experiences
- SQL: our primary datastore is PostgreSQL
- Testing: Writing tests is a huge part of our development process. We use RSpec, Capybara, Jest, and Percy to test our app
This open role has a pay range of $65-115k/year, commensurate with experience and ability
Meerkad is a job board powered by community where remote job seekers and companies connect.
Community of 4k+ remote job seekers