User Experience Designer
User Experience Designer
- Full time
At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
Job ID: R18291 User Experience Designer (Open)
The User Experience (UX) Designer analyzes various sources of information and applies user-centered design principles to bring to life engaging and highly usable experiences. The ideal candidate has a passion for the brand, a strong design point of view, is an advocate for high-quality creative execution and strives for continuous improvement on behalf of the customer. As part of an interdisciplinary team, this individual is responsible for designing and communicating an end solution that is on brand, visually impactful and meets both user and business needs.
Creates User Experience Conceptualizations, Content & Design (70%)
- Consults with business teams to understand the goals, constraints, competitive landscape, and product success metrics.
- Communicates ideas through the creation of sketches, wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mood boards, comps/mock-ups, etc. Utilizes a passion for highly-usable designs and a deep understanding of the customer to inform solution design.
- Acts as the caretaker for the information architecture and navigation structure that supports the recommended content strategy.
- Adopts Agile principles to work collaboratively with others to refine and release a proposed design incrementally.
- Creates visual specifications for developers that add further definition to the User Interface documentation that, clearly outlines alignment, spacing/padding and visual design requirements.
- Thoroughly understands the brand identity and guidelines ensuring potential designs align with overall brand vision.
- Stays informed of emerging trends and technology to anticipate and advise on consumer preferences and behavior shifts.
- Shares knowledge with others on user-centered design principles, user experience and usability guidelines.
- Contributes to a Web/Mobile style guide and standards.
- Generates awareness of accessibility standards and adheres to accessibility best practices.
- Identifies and sources appropriate fonts, icons, graphics, images, photography etc.
- Creates web and application specific assets, including, but not limited to images, video, icons, and banners.
- Creates low and high-fidelity prototypes to communicate interaction design expectations to others or for testing purposes.
Participates in User Research (20%)
- Partners with other departments to understand the customer, their needs, behaviors and demographics.
- Participates in user research activities, including but limited to usability testing, card sorts, one-on-one user interviews, focus groups, etc., and looks to grow knowledge to lead activities in the future.
- Works with others to constructs and analyze user surveys aimed at gathering design feedback.
- Contributes to the construction, analysis and report out of any usability or heuristic evaluations.
- Contributes to the creation of personas, customer journeys, mental models and other artifacts used to tell and represent the customer’s story.
Participates in Quality Review and Improvement (10%)
- Participates in QA testing to ensure the end product matches the intended design.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience planning, designing, and building complex web-sites and mobile experiences.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of usability best practices, information architecture principles, interaction design concepts, user research methodologies and best-in-class design principles (Color theory, space, shape, alignment etc.) for web and mobile application concepts.
- Demonstrated experience communicating concepts and rationale through storyboards, mood boards, visual design mockups, wireframes, user flows, user journey maps, information architecture diagrams etc.
- Demonstrated experience using design-thinking to solve problems and applying usability principles to recommended solutions.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of proper typography for the web.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of how to select, create and guide visual content for the web (photos, advertising banners, video, etc).
- Solid knowledge and understanding of how to create interactive prototypes.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of how to analyze diverse information sources in order to create a design solution and recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and managing work across multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of how to create style guides, usability standards documentation
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the latest design, accessibility, and development trends.