Senior Product Designer
Senior Product Designer
- United States
- Full time
Help us make Gruntwork delightful!
Gruntwork gives software teams a complete, world-class cloud infrastructure that lets them go to prod in days. Typically, the process of launching prod infrastructure in the cloud is awful. It takes months of tedious work, hundreds of thousands of dollars, and often results in poorly maintained code and anti-patterns in the end. We call our company “Gruntwork” because we take away this Gruntwork for our clients so that they can focus on the parts of their software that are unique to them.
We are 100% remote, ~15 people, profitable, growing (even during COVID!) and fully bootstrapped with no debt and no investors. Our small company works with both startups and name companies like Toyota, Adobe, and the US House of Representatives. We also care a lot about humans.
What’s the opportunity?
- Product Design. We’re building a SaaS platform that will become the primary customer experience of our product. Today, customers access our product as private GitHub repos plus a patchwork of links to training and documentation. Working with you, we envision a portal where customers login to discover and use all the elements of our existing product, brand it to themselves, and ultimately offer a UI-based way to learn, deploy and manage infrastructure in the cloud, all backed by infrastructure as code under the hood.
- Branding and Marketing Website. We have an improved understanding of our business that we’d like to reflect in a new public marketing website. We’ll look to you lead the design effort here.
- Design system. You’ll be our first full-time designer so you will set the design direction for the entire company across all areas of design, working directly with the founders and closely with engineers.
Although you’ll be the only professional designer on the team, our company cares deeply about design so you’ll have many eager collaborators when it comes time to brainstorm.
- Product sensibility. When we present our product vision, we’ll look to you to offer opinions, insights, and methodologies to help us translate that vision into a fantastic product.
- Design skill. At the end of the day, the designs you create should look great and be easy to use. Our hope is that you can make our users smile.
- Domain expertise. We don’t expect you to have a complete vision for our product on day 1, but we’re looking for someone who either already understands our domain (DevOps, CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, AWS), or who feels comfortable ramping up on it.
- Bonus: HTML/CSS. If you can roll up your sleeves and review our engineers’ work in HTML/CSS, you can help us make sure the final product is true to your vision.
- Bonus: Engineering Background. If you happen to have an engineering background such as previous experience coding an app or a computer science degree, that may give you additional insight into how our product might especially delight users.
What time zones do we work in?
Although we’re a remote company, we only hire candidates between the time zones of GMT-7 (San Francisco) and GMT+2 (Berlin). This means you’ll never be separated by more than 9 hours from your colleagues and never pressured to work at crazy hours just to get your work done.
For this role, you’ll be working with a team based in the USA/Canada (GMT-7 to GMT-3). We prefer to hire candidates located in the USA or Canada, but are open to hiring in any country within those time zones. Unfortunately, this role is not available outside the GMT-7 to GMT-3 time zones.
- Above-Market Salary. We compute your salary formulaically, using as inputs the average salary for your job title in New York City, the Gruntwork multiplier (currently 1.45) and the cost of living in your home city relative to New York City as reported by numbeo.com. We aim to systematically pay above market while also paying fairly and transparently.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Performance Bonus. We give performance-based bonuses of $5,000 – $15,000 as often as once a quarter, depending on your performance.
- Progressive Equity. We grant progressive equity to all new Grunts.
- Medical Insurance. We offer high-quality plans, including some with no deductible through JustWorks.com. We cover 80% of your health insurance costs and 55% of those of your family.
- Dental Insurance. We offer high-quality plans and pay for 100% of the cost.
- Vision Insurance. We offer high-quality plans and pay for 100% of the cost.
- FSA and HSAs. We don’t contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute 3% of your salary to your 401(k), regardless of how much you contribute yourself.
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Hardware budget. We’ll buy you a brand new 16″ Apple MacBook Pro upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We’ll give you a personal budget of $500/month to spend on improving your health, productivity, or knowledge.
- Minimum Vacation. We require that you take at least 4 weeks of vacation per year.