Backend Software Engineer - Python (Senior, Staff, or Principal)
COVID-19: telehealth is now a necessity and our platform and services are helping medical providers adapt. As such, Sitka is experiencing a surge in demand and continuing to scale the team.
Sitka provides doctors and patients on-demand access to our network of specialists through our unique technology platform. With Sitka, patients receive personalized video reviews of their medical data from experts. Our platform allows patients and their doctors to consult with specialists easily and quickly, usually with turnarounds of hours instead of weeks.
We believe meaningful improvement in medicine requires new systems enabling convenient, conversational workflows between patients and their physicians, not tedious and documentation-heavy processes. As such, we integrate our platform deeply into complicated health systems so that providers can leverage our specialists easily and make better clinical decisions over video.
As a small, fully-remote startup, there are no big-company cog-in-the-machine roles. Everything and everyone matters, so we hire with that in mind. We value diversity, not just because building services for diverse populations requires a diverse team, but because we personally feel it’s the right thing to do.
About the job
Sitka engineers progressively bring order to the chaos of medicine. We work closely with our clinical practitioners and patients, rapidly iterating on the product and workflow to solve real problems in real clinics.
The platform we build serves patient, primary care, and specialist workflows in friendly-yet-compliant ways while providing robust tools around synchronous and asynchronous video and annotation. Sitka is a modern API-based web application — we use React to build our user-facing front-end, Python for our back-end web services, and we deploy containerized services to AWS.
You’d report to the CTO on a fully-remote team with tremendous flexibility to define the shape of the product, technical architecture and company itself. As an early engineer, you will be a critical member of the team, with your work directly affecting the success or failure of the company. The scope of your potential impact is limited only by your ambition and ability to get things done.
- You are a seasoned software engineer that enjoys writing Python, and have at least 3 years of experience doing so.
- You’ve designed and implemented complicated data architectures for a real-world service in either RDBMS or NoSQL storage systems (or both for extra points).
- You understand modern web architecture – how the pieces fit together, how to build robust and reliable services, how to manage complexity as a service grows.
- You like learning new things, teaching what you know to others and generally aren’t a jerk about it.
- You’re capable of solving whole problems with lots of ambiguity. We’re a startup doing things that nobody has done before. This means building things with imperfect information and building for adaptation when your assumptions are wrong. It’s not for everyone.
- You care about building an engineering culture based on diversity, respect, recognition and trust.
- You’re a senior engineer. If you have 15+ years of experience building complex systems, great!
- You’ve worked on complicated, multiparty workflow systems.
- You’ve dealt with HIPAA and survived with your sanity intact (intactness of sanity is strictly optional).
- You’ve built systems on AWS.
- You’ve worked on streaming video.
Location: US Locations Only